Tuesday, December 13, 2011

{ Christmas Goodies }

Much as I love Christmas candy, and fortuitous though it is that I'm not working outside the home, I'm not going crazy with the sweets this year.
My reason is that Peanut isn't very fond of anything in the general category of "making food"--though baking and candy-making are by far the easiest kinds of "food" for me to tackle right now!

Last year I made several kinds of candies and cookies, and Mike and I gave them in little gift bags to our nearest neighbors. We're planning to do the same this year. Though both of us love oreo truffles {recipe here}, they take f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to make--even with two people!--so I have decided to try all new recipes.

Yesterday I made two batches of chocolate nutella fudge with sea salt...YUM! If you want to give this creamy, delicious, hazelnutty, chocolatey, decadent, slightly salty treat a try, here is the recipe. Added bonus: her photos are much more appetizing than mine. I just have a point-and-shoot camera, but when I look at this I still want to lick my computer screen.


I've also made peppermint gumdrops, thanks to Bakerella's recipe here. In spite of generous administration of red food coloring, my gumdrops are definitely orangey, not red as I'd hoped. Oh well. They still taste like peppermint, and it's just fun to say that you've made gumdrops!


Right now I'm making oreo bark, in honor of the illustrious oreo--quite possibly Mr. and Mrs. Mike's favorite cookie. {Well.....favorite store-bought cookie. I don't think anything can shake chocolate chip cookies, or M&M cookies, from the #1 Cookie spot in Mike's heart.} I forgot to take photos...sorry. And I'm not sure why I'm so italicised tonight. Lots of things just need a little extra emphasis, apparently.

What are your favorite Christmas treats? Something your mom or grandma made? A delicious recipe you just found? Do tell!


6 comments:

  1. Can I please be your neighbor this Christmas? I'm way impressed that you made gumdrops! How fun is that? Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The favorite thing I made this year, according to Lovey, was Brown Sugar Shortbread. We had 2 banquet tables and our round table full of goodies at Cookie Day (pics on FB). Happy to give the recipe should you wish :) -Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents are coming over on Friday and we are going to make Christmas goodies together. We are going to try a new recipe called caramel nut clusters. They look heavenly with a cup of coffee. Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Yummy! Love you gumdrops :) I am currently munching on a fabulous batch of homemade salted caramel popcorn - every year we make it, and every year I consume at least one entire batch - it is SO addictive! What a sweet idea to share with neighbors (unfortunately I'll have to make another popcorn batch if I am to do the same) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops - that was supposed to be "love *your* gumdrops", addressing you, not the gumdrops... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You MADE gumdrops?! Now THAT is impressive! Hmm, Christmas favorites: Spiced Crackers each and every year thanks to hubby's love of salty rather than sweet. Also, Easy Toffee Bars are always a hit!
    Hope you are doing well, Merry Christmas from the 4 little Fergusons!

    http://4littlefergusons.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/the-gift-of-goodies/
    http://4littlefergusons.wordpress.com/2010/12/16/rolo-candy-pretzels-easy-toffee-bars/

    ReplyDelete