Monday, February 8, 2010

{ How did you spend Super Bowl Sunday? }

I spent it lounging in my pj's with my handsome husband. He ran to the grocery store for bacon and sausage and "starchy things" while I made coffee and cleaned up the kitchen. Lo and behold, he returned with pastries from Henry's Donuts! Henry's has a couple of locations, one very close to my work, and occasionally we'll get a box of goodies and share it at work. I was delighted to find a Henry's just a few minutes from our condo, and Mister not only remembered that I wanted us to go there, he telepathically sensed that maple bars are my favorite pastry! I was so happy. Combined with bacon, sausage, and fried eggs, we had a deliciously artery-clogging breakfast.

I also made Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Cookies. Same recipe as the one here, with the addition of 3 cups of chopped nuts and the stipulation that you only bake them for 8 minutes if you want them soft and chewy. FYI. Well, the recipe says it makes 112 cookies. Uh-huh. Not true. I made over 200 golf-ball size mounds of cookie dough, realized that after 3 1/2 hours I was nowhere near close to being done by the time we needed to leave for church, and threw a bunch of dough in the freezer. Not literally, of course: Nicely rolled in golf-ball-size balls and contained within a sturdy Tupperware dish. I've never frozen cookie dough before. Will it thaw and bake ok??

We go to the 5pm service at our church, smack-dab in the middle of Super Bowl time. So the pastor invited all of us volunteers who assist with setup and teardown {we're in a rented auditorium} to his home to watch the game on TiVo.

Well, Mister had the radio on when I jumped in the car after church, and unfortunately I heard the final score. He was on the phone and didn't notice. I found this actually made the game much more interesting to watch, since I knew the Saints would come back from their 10-point deficit!

One caveat: I am not a sports fan. I've never watched a football game all the way through. I've never even been to a live football game. True to form, I spent most of the third quarter talking to the pastor's wife about their trip to Italy last August. She made a book of photos from their trip--it was so drool-worthy! Who wouldn't want to visit here?

Or here?


Mister and I have been lightheartedly, almost jokingly, dreaming of visiting Italy and/or Greece someday. Their photos and adventures made me want to go so badly! It was all I could do to restrain myself from looking up ticket prices online this morning.

Tonight for dinner I'm making Rachael Ray's "Inside-Out Pizza-dilla Margerita." Super easy and very yummy. The first cookbook I bought {embarrassingly recently in the past--let's just say it was less than five years ago} was one of Rachael Ray's 30-minute meals books. I love it. Her recipes are so tasty! Even if you, unlike Rachael and myself, do not love pasta and cheese.
How is your week shaping up?

No comments:

Post a Comment